Interested in a U.S. Service Academy? Watch Cadet Max Bierman, a First District nominee, discuss his experience at the U.S. Air Force Academy.
As a member of the U.S. House of Representatives, each year I have the privilege of nominating young men and women for admission to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, the U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at King's Point.
Interested candidates who are seeking a nomination from my office to one of these academies must download and submit the nomination application packet in addition to applying directly to the academy's admissions office. The deadline to return our office's application packet is October 3, 2022. The deadline to return any additional information, including references, is October 17, 2022. If you contact other nominating sources, such as your U.S. Senators, be certain to confirm their deadlines and application requirements as procedures may differ between offices.
The U.S. Coast Guard Academy manages its own selection process based on a nationwide, merit-based competitive process. No congressional nominations are required. All applicants must apply directly to the Coast Guard Academy's admissions office. For further information, please visit their website.
Basic Requirements for Service Academy Eligibility
- Must be at least 17, but not yet 23, years old by July 1st of the year of admission to the academy;
- Must be a United States citizen;
- Must be unmarried;
- Cannot be pregnant or have legal obligation to support a child or other dependents;
- Must meet medical, physical and academic requirements of the academy.
Nomination Process and Requirements
Each member of Congress, either in the House of Representatives or the Senate, is permitted a total of five appointees in each service academy. For each vacancy, I am allowed to nominate ten individuals.
If you need more information on the service academies, the eligibility requirements or the nomination process, please contact the Warren County District Office at (513) 421-8704 or e-mail David McCandless, my military academy nomination coordinator.
Military Academy Nominations - FAQ
Frequently asked questions for those seeking a military academy nomination.
What is a nomination?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
• A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides
• Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
• Apply directly to the Vice-President of the United States
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
• Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
• Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
• Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
• Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 1st Congressional District of Ohio.
• Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the academy.
Who do I contact to request an application?
Contact David McCandless in my office at (513) 421-8704 to request a nomination packet or download it here.
When do I apply for a nomination?
My nomination application period opens May 15th of each year for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated.
What is the deadline for completing a nomination file?
The deadline for submitting a nomination packet to my District Office is October 3, 2022. Please contact David McCandless in my office at (513) 421-8704 for more specifics.
What must be included in my nomination file?
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
• Current photo
• High school transcript
• American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
• Completed application packet
• An essay stating what motivates you to attend a service academy (500-700 words)
• Minimum of three letters of recommendation
What happens after I have completed my nomination file?
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview in late October or early November.
What criteria is used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
How many academies are there?
There are five service academies.
Three reside within the Department of Defense:
• U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
• U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
• U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
Two reside within the Department of Transportation:
• U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
• U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the academy of your choice via the websites noted for each academy's particular admissions qualifications. It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the Coast Guard Academy, as the U.S.C.G.A. accepts candidates based on their own testing criteria.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
Some of the people applicants typically seek recommendations from include:
• Scout Leaders
I do not require a specific recommendation form. A letter of recommendation is sufficient.
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year's pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
Academies will begin to notify candidates of their admission status in February. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.